Elizabeth Fritsch was born 1940 and is a Welsh studio potter. Fritsch studied harp and then piano at the Royal Academy of Music from 1958 to 1964, but later took up ceramics under Hans Coper and Eduardo Paolozzi at the Royal College of Art from 1968 to 1971. In 1985, she set up a studio in east London. Since her first show in 1972, Fritsch has had a number of solo shows. In 1996 and 2001 she was shortlisted for the Jerwood Prize for Ceramics. Fritsch's work is represented in major collections and museums around the world. A major retrospective was held at the National Museum Cardiff, Wales, in 2010, featuring a complete range of her most significant studio pottery and recent pieces where she also considered 'the space between the second and third dimensions', a concept she first described as ‘two-and-a-half dimensions’.
Earthenware, soft white slip with delicate green speckle over a gently textured surface, a pale blue slip band around the rim and to the interior
H 12.6cm, W 14cm, D 12.7cm