FullSizeRender-24 Bernard Leach salmon vase

Potter's House Ceramics

FullSizeRender-24 FullSizeRender-24 Shoji Hamada

Hans Coper

Hans Coper vase

HC1: Early vase. Circa 1955. T material. Buffed textured cylindrical foot beneath a dry manganese glazed  conical flaring section.

 

SOLD

Hans Coper was born in Chemnitz on 8 April 1920, and his family lived in Reichenbach, Dresden and Leipzig. In 1939 he left Germany and came to England as a refugee.

In 1946 he met Lucie Rie and began to work at the Albion Mews Pottery. He became a British Subject in 1958, and the following year he moved to Digswell, Hertfordshire, where he was one of the founder members of the architectural group there.

During the 1960s he made two large murals composed of ceramic discs and designed a wide range of ceramic claddings. In 1960 he started teaching at Camberwell School of Art and in 1966 at the Royal College of Art, having returned to London in 1963. In 1967 he moved to Frome, Somerset, where he died in 1981.

Hans Coper’s first exhibitions were held at the Berkeley Galleries in London during the 1950’s, often with Lucie Rie. In 1951 he and Lucie Rie exhibited together in the Homes and Gardens Pavilion at the Festival of Britain in a room set designed by Robin Day. The 1950’s and 60’s also saw exhibitions in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, New York, Washington DC and Tokyo. In 1969 he shared a major joint exhibition with the weaver Peter Collingwood at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Exhibitions at Kettles Yard, Cambridge and the Robert Welch Gallery, in Chipping Camden in the late 1970’s were followed by a 60th Birthday exhibition at the Hetjens Museum in Dusseldorf in 1980.

 

Hans Coper's pots still fetch huge prices at auction.

Hans coper unnamed

HC2: A stunning vessel with a disc form. A rare and unusual piece. This piece was made during Coper's time in Digswell, Hertfordshire and was a wedding gift to a friend from the artist.

 

 

Hans Coper Hans Coper Hans Coper HC

HC3: Stoneware, black manganese glaze over a textured surface, the flared neck with expressed throwing rings to the interior, incised spirals around the exterior and around the conical foot, impressed HC seal. H 16.5cm, D 13.8cm

Restoration to the neck and body.

Made at Digswell in 1961